The dream of Frikkie Naudé, owner of Yonder Hill Wines, to create a top quality range of wines at an affordable price realised in 2004 when the first Yonder Hill Y-range wines were bottled. Now, 12 years down the line, it is time for a revamp.
The Naudé family has been farming on Yonder Hill since 1993 and their strong family values have been a great part of their continued success. The new label symbolises growth and companionship – growth of the vine and finding joy in the company of friends and family.
Symbolism of the new label
The graphic designers, Haumann Small Design Studio in Stellenbosch are the artists behind the new look. “The ‘Y’ represents a vine; the free style of the illustration gives a natural feel of a handcrafted product while the branching symbolises the diversity of the trademark.”
They also included elements from the Naudé family crest in the background to represent a vineyard landscape. The Naudé family crest was inserted at the bottom of the label and acknowledges the family behind the trademark and also adds value to the product.
Merlot grapes from the Paarl and Stellenbosch regions are used to create the Y-Merlot and this selection ensures an ideal combination of fresh fruity flavours and easy drinkability.
The grapes ripen mid season and fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks with regular cross-pumping to extract maximum colour from the skins. The wine is juicy with aromas of mulberry and strawberry with no harsh tannins while the palet is soft and elegant.
Y-Sauvignon Blanc 2016
This wine is made from a specially selected vineyard in Stellenbosch. The vines are 18 years old and the canopy was opened to produce more thiols (tropical flavours) and less pyrazines (grass flavours). When thiols increase, the wine has more prominent tropical flavours, while a decrease in pyrazines lessens the green grass aromas. The wine is made in a reductive style to retain the fresh, fruity flavours of the grapes.
It is an easy drinking wine with aromas of tropical fruit flavours like gooseberries, litchis and guava. The palet is balanced with a full fruity taste and a fine crisp finish.
With the Y-Merlot and Y-Sauvignon Blanc costing only R50 per bottle, you have to ask yourself, Y not?
For more info contact Susan Smith at 021 855 1008 or email@example.com
Distributed by Yolandi de Wet PR
tel 028 316 1177 / 082 7727 519
Tip: Prepare the oxtail one day before you want to serve it.
500ml Yonder Hill Inanda – pour the rest in your glass…
3 large sliced red onions
2 stems sliced leeks
3 stems sliced celery
3 large sliced carrots
80 ml Olyfberg olive oil
5 pepper corns, 4 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 8 stems fresh thyme
1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon heaped ground coriander, 1 teaspoon heaped ginger or 1.5 cm freshly cut ginger grated
2 cubes chicken stock diluted in 5 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Open the Inanda and pour 250ml in wine glass and enjoy your first sip!
3. Fry onions, celery, leeks and carrots in olive oil until glassy, put it on a plate.
4. While frying the vegetables, mix the flour and ground spices into a lidded plastic container.
5. Put the oxtail in the container, seal it and shake until the mixture fully covers the meat.
6. Braai oxtail in olive oil until brown.
7. Enjoy another sip of the Inanda’s vibrant mix of roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and red berry aromas.
8. Placed the oxtail and vegetables in a casserole dish.
9. Add 500ml wine, spices, stock and herbs to the dish.
10. Put the dish in the preheated oven for 1 hour at 180 degrees Celsius.
11. Turn the oven down to 150 degrees Celsius and slowly bake for another 4-5 hours while enjoying the rest of the bottle of Inanda with your feet up.
12. Let the oxtail cool down and remove any fat.
13. Heat the dish thoroughly the next day and add parsley.
14. Serve the oxtail with rice or polenta.
15. Open a fresh bottle of Inanda; pour all guests a glass and revel in its rich, red flavours, perfectly paired with the delicious oxtail on your plate.
The Yonder Hill Merlot 2010 is now available!!!!